Tuesday, February 19, 2008

I Love The Smell Of Bananas In The Morning


Hopefully this story won't be to graphic, but it is about morning sickness!! Just an FYI!


What a day, today was. Our appointment was set for 9:00 AM this morning. Both Shannon and I had arranged to be off of work this morning, so that we could be there together. We got up early and went to the store around the corner to get something small to eat before our big moment.

Shannon usually has to have something to eat early in the morning, otherwise she gets real naseous. So in our infinite wisdom, we bought her a banana, thinking it would be light on her stomach and easy to digest.

Boy were we ever wrong. As we exited the store parking lot, and headed towards the doctor's office, the anticipation began to build. You could tell that Shannon and I were both excited and nervous. Normally this wouldn't be such a big issue, but normally one of us isn't pregnant (I'll let you guess which one ;). With nervousness on her face and banana in her belly, things quickly turned South.

About half-a-block from the doctor's office, Shannon began to frantically tug at my sweater, and telling me that she was going to be sick. Now granted, she has really only thrown up once since we found out she was pregnant over a month ago, but she has been sick to her stomach more times than I can count.

As I looked over and saw that her face was greener than the 18th hole at Augusta National, I tried to immediately pull over to the side of the road. She protested however, and insisted that I wait until I get to the next shopping center to pull over (which living in Southern California is never to far away). I said "OK, but here's our bag if you get really sick!"

Not a second later, out of the corner of my eye I saw her lunge for the bag, only the bag wasn't close enough. She proceeded to expel all of her breakfast over my sweater, jeans, steering wheel, and drivers side door and window. I have never seen anything like it in my life.

Now normally I'm not the type of person who enjoys being thrown up all over, but I must say (without trying to pat my own back) I handled it as well as it could be handled. I calmly pulled the car into the shopping center parking lot, made sure she was ok, and ran into the only place that was open, a smoothie store.

What I wouldn't give to have seen the look on the faces of those working in the store, as a I walked through the door with what looked like a mixture between baby food and a smoothie all over me. Not one to beat around the bush I quickly asked, "Where are your napkins?," and was met with a stunned stare and a point to my left. I grabbed as many as I could and walked out to the car to clean up my wife, myself, and my truck.

After we were as cleaned up as could be, considering the circumstances, we decided to just proceed to the doctor's office, since now we were just across the street from it. With Shannon having barely a spot on her, and me with a quite a few spots on my person, we rode up the elevator and strolled into the office as if nothing happened.

Fortunately though, both doctors were out of the office performing an emergency C-Section, so we would have to come back at 11:15. That allowed us time to go back home clean up, and reassess the situation.

Shannon felt terrible, but really it wasn't the worst thing in the world. No one had died, and really all that resulted was another load of wash, and my truck smelling like Banana Nut Bread for the rest of the day. When all was said and done, and three hours later when we were able to see a little heart flicker on a screen, it was definitely worth all of the trouble.

2 comments:

The Abshires said...

You guys are sooo cute! Kudos to the hubbie. You handles yourself well. These are times you will never forget. I love hearing about them. Love you!

Curtis and Laura said...

Poor Shan! And poor Andrew too :). Great job Andrew on being that strong pillar! I am glad things are going so well not only with the baby but with you guys too. Your little peanut looks adorable already and by his/hers build, I think I see an athlete in the making... Just kidding. Can't wait until the next photo! Love you guys.